Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The power of silence

Yesterday I started an ASL at MCTC. I was thrilled. I did a short community ed course back in Rochester, NY about 6 years ago but I have always wanted to take a class. I don't know what took me so long to get to it. I almost cried after the class. That's how strong I feel connected to this particular language. I love languages in general but I know ASL will be of special significance in my life. We had an interpreter (and we'll have her for one more class) but I can't wait for the next classes when no-voice instructions will be emphasized. The teacher, Holly, is hilarious. Two of the things she said, well... signed, really hit me hard and have been in my mind all night:
1) "Now you are my babies". I always incorporate changes and adventures in my life, but this new beginning, this new class definitely feels like a re-birth (more on this on # 2). This will be the only class that I will take this summer.
2) We (hearing people) have lots of "tools" to convey our emotions, specially with our voice: different tones, delivery, pitch, etc. In sign language that is shown by many things. Hand gestures is just a part of sign language. You need to use body posture, facial expressions and mouth movements. You need to "bring your emotions out". And that's something that has been really hard for me for a long time. That's why I feel that I will renew myself with this class.
Time to get it out...

No comments: