Sunday, December 17, 2006

Joseph again: 20 years after...

When I was young (10.. 13 years old) I used to participate in many activities in my local church (Roman Catholic). One of those activities was the "Pesebre Viviente" (the nativity scene). I remember once, I think I was 13 years old, I was one of the shepherds. Now I am 6'6" tall so you can imagine I was pretty tall then, too. During one rehearsal, when the shepherds come to visit the new born Jesus, the director realized that I was taller than the guy doing Joseph (who was much older than me). So asked us to trade characters. The guy didn't like it at all but I did. You know I was born for the stage :-) I was a better Joseph than that guy... My mom told me and I believe everything that my mom says ;-) Anyway, almost 20 years later (hint, hint, I'll 33 on December 22nd, 2006) I get to be Joseph again. This time with a bigger production put on by a really cool theatre company in Minneapolis: In the Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask Theatre.

La Natividad

December 15-17, 2006 - one weekend only!

La Natividad

The Nativity Story According to St. Matthew and St. Luke
La Historia de Navidad de Acuerdo a San Mateo y San Lucas.

“En el nombre del cielo pedimos posada...

In the Heart of the Beast Puppet & Mask Theatre is taking the Nativity story to the streets!

  • Come experience the Christmas Story as you’ve never done before. The story of the hol
    y child being born in our midst – here in Midtown Minneapolis.
  • This innovative holiday presentation will combine puppetry, street theatre and a traditional Latino “La Posada” procession. And you’ll be a part of the action!

Audiences will move with the performers among three different locations:

  • First, meet “Maria and José” in the Mercado Central.

  • Across the street in the Avalon Theatre, you’ll discover shepherds and st
    ar-seekers.
  • Then, in a colorful torch-lit procession, follow Maria & José (THIS IS ME) as they look for refuge down 15th Avenue to St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church, where all will be welcomed for the Nativity.
  • Finally, join the fiesta in St Paul’s Fellowship Hall
    -- complete with music, food and games.

Told with HOBT’s signature visual beauty and soulful live music, “La Natividad” will be an utterly unique community celebration.


Besides being "Jose" in the procession I manipulated a stork puppet in the Church. I got quite a few compliments for that bird even though it was first time with that type of puppet. I hope to perform with HOTB again, soon. (I just did May Day Ceremony with then a few years ago)

I got to know a lot of new people in this production. And I also had fun sharing the stage with a family from my school (Spring Hill School), Tanja and Olivia (pictured below).

No comments: