Friday, December 01, 2006

Skype, synchronicity and Esperanto

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary

"synchronicity is the coincidental occurrence of events and especially psychic events (as similar thoughts in widely separated persons or a mental image of an unexpected event before it happens) that seem related but are not explained by conventional mechanisms of causality -- used especially in the psychology of C. G. Jung "

Lately I have been "playing" with Skype a lot. Skype is a little program for making free calls over the Internet to anyone else who also has Skype. It has pretty good quality. One of the features I like (currently on beta version, though) is the Skypecast. With it you can create your own room and "host" a conversation (if people join in to your room). It's very similar to a radio show but with people from all over the world! You can give the mic to people, you can ask question, propose a topic, etc. I love this feature and I usually find myself wondering around different Skypecasts. You can find some interesting one by browsing the Skypecasts directory.

Lately I've been visiting many Skypecasts devoting to teaching English or practicing English (just like the EPOTI group I belong to). But I was curious about Skypecasts in other languages as well. I have been able to get to a few in French and practice my French a little bit.

One night, while I was waiting for a French Skypecast to start I was wondering if there would be a Skypecast to practice Esperanto. A constructed language that I have been fond of for quite a while. And to my surprise when I looked again in the Skypecasts directory, there it was: a Skypecast about Esperanto.

And that's why I started this post with the definition of synchronicity. I think that is a clear example of it.

I was very lucky that not many people was there. After a short while I got the host, Jose, all for myself. Jose is a young Esperanto enthusiast. Not only he is fluent in the language but he is also involved with a Esperanto group in Madrid, where he lives. It was very pleasant to meet Jose and get infused with his love for that mysterious language. That gave me enough motivation to continue my Esperanto studies again (which I am doing at www.lernu.net)

Jose has been very patient with me as I start catching up with Esperanto. I am really happy not only for getting motivated again about a language (I love that feeling) but also for making a new friend through Esperanto.

gxis la revido!

No comments: